23 November 2008

Cafe Americano, Cordillera Coffee, University of the Philippines

Vargas Museum, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Q.C.

My husband and I took our son to U.P.'s Vargas Museum to view some of the works of Amorsolo and his contemporaries during WWII, part of the Amorsolo Retrospective 7-Museum Exhibition. It was a school requirement, but a good time as any to infuse some culture into our weekend. 

It was such a treat for me to discover an al fresco coffee place right there at the left corner of the museum calling to me as we got off our vehicle. Cordillera Coffee, hmmm, seeing it printed on all the canvass umbrellas over each table. I've heard and read only good things about this coffee brand so far Coffee for a cause, if I recall. I just had to try it. The thought of savoring a steaming cup of the local brew didn't leave my mind throughout our educational half hour or so in Vargas Museum's 2nd floor. Sorry F.C. Amorsolo, sir. So right after re-claiming my purse at the reception area, I headed straight for the cafe.

Ok, I won't get too effusive about the service, which was not so great, or the food, which was not so great, but the ambience -- how cool can it get? Right outside a University Museum and with lush greenery running along the driveway parallel to the side dining area? Beautiful wooden tables and chairs, and runners with the unmistakable weave and colors of the North adorning each table. No smoking allowed, even if it was outdoors. I see why. It's a good venue for quiet talks, post-exhibit discussions, moments of solitude, writing, or just finding some creative inspiration.

The coffee? Super! I got an Americano, and it was delivered to our table with steamed milk and muscovado. I was not disappointed at all. It was full-bodied, looked like it was very strong, but was actually very flavorful, and almost cocoa-ish. It didn't have any of that sour aftertaste of some full-bodied coffees I've had. A really pleasurable brew.

Now I know. I'll definitely crave for this coffee, so I know I'll be back there. I will absolutely get myself a pack of their coffee for my own use at home next time.
I wish, though, that  I didn't have to take so much time setting up for the photo. By the time I took the shot, the froth had already began to subside. My apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment