18 March 2011

R.O.X. Blend, Alamid Cafe Xpress

I met with one of the owners Bote Central, the company behind the famous Alamid (Civet) Coffee and my new find, 18 Days Coffee, a few days ago. I needed to get more details for my story on the Alamid Mt. Malarayat Trek for a travel magazine. Naturally, we agreed to meet at their first cafe, the ACX (Alamid Cafe Xpress), inside the expansive recreational outdoor shop R.O.X.at the Bonifacio High Street at the Fort. So, I had coffee. Of course! Nope, I didn't have a cup of their civet coffee. That, I had been introduced to shortly after coming back from the (I will share my review of that soon).


This time around, I was treated to their exclusive R.O.X. blend - Arabica beans from Mt. Matutum and Sagada, Mountain Province, and Robusta beans (P80.00 per cup). Even if these particular Arabica beans are supposed to have a bit of an acidic "wine-y" taste and the Robusta more bitter than most, I found the blend very good, needing very little milk or sugar to compliment the full-bodied taste. No sourness or unpleasant bitterness, even as an after-taste. As I've learned from many experts, there's nothing like the aroma and flavor of coffee that's sourced, roasted and ground as recently as possible.


Boni High Street is a place I frequent for work meetings, shopping, book-hunting, or hanging out with family and friends. Even if it's a long commercial strip with a coffee shop every few meters (should anyone be surprised that Starbucks has both ends covered?), and more coffee offered in a number of restaurants, I've already tried just about every single one; several, more than once. ACX as a new option, and in a different set-up (imagine being surrounded by travel gear, outdoor apparel, shoes, and accessories), is definitely a welcome addition for me. Taking a look at the menu, I think I have a few other reasons -- like sandwiches, pastries, and soon, I was informed, coffee events -- apart from my favorite beverage, to go back.

P.S. Sadly, this coffee station no longer stands. Another one gone too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment